Sunday, April 3, 2011

Patchwork of the Crosses - POTC

Shirl has finished her POTC top. Here's her story :

I just wasn't sure if I was going to have the 'AHA' moment when I first started this quilt so I just picked out some of the reproduction fabrics (Charlestown III- blues, browns, creams, beiges) I was using for my Dear Jane (I live in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia so Civil War stuff is really big here).

Like us all, the light bulb lit up and off I went; what I found out though was there weren't that many directional fabrics and consequently this quilt doesn't have that 'kaleidoscope' look. THE NEXT ONE : ))) will be brighter.... now the fabric shopping tips written in the POTC book make more sense and I see fabric with different eyes. You probably can't see it in the picture unless you zoom in, but 1st and 2nd row, 4th block over, all of the 3rd row, and 4th block in rows 4,5,6,7 & 8 have lighter bkground border blocks and all the little crosses bordering these blocks are solid; (same color as the connectors) the thought being that a subtle big cross would show. Next step is quilting the quilt and picking the design to help the big cross pop.

Wish me luck on my Dear Jane... the plan is to finish by the 2013, the 150th anniversary..... I put it down for the year I worked on POTC... I know I'll get tons of questions re Inklingo when I take it to Show & Tell. I have to figure out a way to make a teeny weeny POTC name tag block and put "Inklingo Rocks" right in the middle [VBG].

Thank you again ladies, I am so enjoying this journey !

Shirl

And what a gorgeous quilt it has turned out to be, Shirl ! Congratulations.

15 comments:

Theresa said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish Shirl, the colours are lovely.

Mitt lille rosa syrom said...

Congratulations on a job very well done!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

It's beautiful!
xx, shell

Sue H. said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.
Sue

Rita said...

Sooo wonderful!! I found your Blog and I'm so happy!
A good Week-Start!
LOL Rita

Joan said...

Your POTC quilt is stunning - I love it ...what a great lot of wonderful blocks :)

Cyn said...

Beautiful quilt. LOVE your nametag idea... if you manage it, I hope you will share a pic.

Kathy in Guanajuato City, Mexico said...

Gorgeous, I love the colors!! :-)

Quilted bear lady said...

Love this coloration. Nice to see it in these reproduction prints!

butrfly2200 said...

Love your quilt. This pattern is on my to do but I'm not sure when. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing
:)Carol

Unknown said...

I saw this in person in our quilt group yesterday---it is such a Marvel to look at!! That teeny weeny tag block is awesome.

Mavi. said...

Enhorabuena, es un quilt impresionante, su diseño, su colorido, todo. Es fantástico.
Saludos.

Tilde said...

According to Google Translate, Septiembre said :
Congratulations, is a stunning quilt, its design, colors, everything. It's fantastic.
Greetings.

Whitelily said...

Hi,
I am new to Inklingo and was wondering if there is a guide for fussy cutting with Inklingo.
Thanks, Donna

Tilde said...

Yes, Donna, there is. Go check out Linda Franz's blog ( http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/ ) where there are all sorts of goodies. Forfussy cutting with Inklingo, check out the "Top 10 Tutes" on the blog. It is right there, complete with checklist.